Friday, May 17, 2013

What I Have Been Reading...First Blog Hop!

I recently joined OpenAdoptionBloggers.com and am really excited to participate in my first Blog Hop! 

This time the topic is:
What was the last book you read?

Three Christmases ago I received my favorite gift of all time… Nate surprised me with a Kindle!  Since then I have been reading more than ever.  The bad part is I sometimes go on Amazon and search for books that are similar to ones I’ve enjoyed in the past.  I’ll download a free sample of books I’m interested in and save them until I’m ready for a new book.  Now I’m excited to get through my list, but I’m a slow reader so I feel like I’ll never finish!  Needless to say, I’ve found two new trilogies I’m in love with and I’m reading them both as they come out.  I’m the type of person who likes to read one book or series all the way through (and watch the movies, if they’re released) and then move on to the next, so it’s been interesting for me to keep two story lines in my head…
I just finished “Shadow of Night” by Deborah Harkness.  This is the second book in her All Souls Trilogy.  I read the first book, “A Discovery of Witches: A Novel” last summer and re-read it this year before starting book two.  I’m not able to give a synopsis that does these books justice, so here’s what Amazon has to say:
                Discovery-
In a sparkling debut, A Discovery of Witches became the "it" book of early 2011, bringing Deborah Harkness into the spotlight and galvanizing fans around the world. In this tale of passion and obsession, Diana Bishop, a young scholar and the descendant of witches, discovers a long-lost and enchanted alchemical manuscript deep in Oxford's Bodleian Library. Its reappearance summons a fantastical underworld, which she navigates with her leading man, vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont. Harkness has created a universe to rival those of Anne Rice, Diana Gabaldon, and Elizabeth Kostova, and she adds a scholar's depth to this riveting story of magic and suspense. And the story continues in Book Two, Shadow of Night.”
Shadow-
Harkness’s much-anticipated sequel, Shadow of Night, picks up from A Discovery of Witches’ cliffhanger ending. Diana and Matthew time-travel to Elizabethan London and are plunged into a world of spies, magic, and a coterie of Matthew’s old friends, the School of Night. As the search for Ashmole 782 deepens and Diana searches for a witch to tutor her in magic, the net of Matthew’s past tightens around them, and they embark on a very different—and vastly more dangerous—journey.”
What I love about these books so far is that they remind me of my favorites, Harry Potter and Twilight but are more “grown up” and touch on other subjects I’m interested in.  There are lots of descriptions of different cities and countries, and Harkness does a great job of painting a picture with her words.  She covers a lot of history, and “Shadow of Night” even touches on adoption when Diana and Matthew care for two children who might not have otherwise survived. 
What I love most about “Shadow of Night” is that Diana and Matthew become friends with actual historical figures I’ve studied in the past – Kit Marlowe, George Chapman, Thomas Harriot, Henry Percy, Sir Walter Raleigh, Mary Sidney, Elizabeth I and many more…  Their travels around Elizabethan London take me back to my own trip to London in 2006 where I spent a month visiting Shakespeare’s theatres and studying his work.  I miss it and want to go back so badly one day!
Since the third book in the All Souls Trilogy won’t be released for some time, I’m getting ready to read start the final book in my other favorite - The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver.  I won’t go into detail on this one – maybe that’s another post?  But, it’s an excellent series… probably my favorite of all. It all starts with the fact that the government has decided that love is a disease, so people are “cured.”  I’ll leave it at that, or this post will continue to get longer!
Everything I’ve read on adoption is on the right of this page, so feel free to check those out.  If you open the link from this page, you’ll automatically enter a browsing session where a percent of your purchase will go toward our adoption fund (no extra cost to you)!
I’ll leave it at that… what have you been reading?

5 comments:

  1. I'm visiting you from the Blog Hop--and your books sounds like fun! I'm glad to find someone who likes similar books as me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also someone who likes to read straight through a trilogy/series. It's always a little sad to come to the end of one that I've enjoyed.

    I heard good things about "A Discovery of Witches" when it first came out--I might have to check that out over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got these on my to-borrow-from-the-library list. I'll bump it up now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! My first comments! If any of you read these, I hope you enjoy. I've heard other people say they didn't finish Discovery of Witches because it starts out too slow. If you feel that way, just keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those trilogies sound interesting, and how fun that the details about London remind you of your own trip there. Yay!

    ReplyDelete