Friday, August 8, 2014

Exciting Things!

I have to admit.  This space has not received the love and attention I'd like to give it lately.  I never intended for this to be a digital scrapbook centered on my kid, but that's what it feels like it's becoming.  I only have one good excuse, and that's the fact that Miss K steals all of my love and attention!  Even during her naps, it seems that I'm trying to learn how to be the best mom I can be for her.

Other contributors are the fact that my lap top charger melted itself (thankfully I decided to stay up that night for one last Facebook check, and smelled burning plastic), and the fact that it's been a busy summer.  As I type, I'm uploading photos so I can have some printed in time for our second visit with J this weekend!

We also had a big get together at our house a few weekends ago to celebrate Miss K's gotcha day!  That's right, it's official!  We finalized her adoption in court the following day, and I owe you a post about the whole thing.  It's coming, I promise!

And I've been working on becoming a blogger for Northeast Ohio Parent!  I've already written a few posts, and I'll make sure to include links here when I post more in the future.  I'm so excited for this opportunity!  Be sure to check out what I've written so far here.

I've been working on a few other things behind the scenes, too.  So I hope to start making some changes around here.  I really want this to be a fun and informative space, where people can come for adoption and parenting resources.  Even if some of those resources are just examples of our family life.  So bare with me, please!

In the mean time, I figured I should do Miss K's six month update.  We're closer to the seven month mark by now, but in the name of consistency, I'll share!


Weight: 15 lbs 14.9 oz (46%) {up from 14 pounds 10 ounces (58%) two months ago}
Height: 26.38 inches long (70%) {up from 24.21 inches long (36%) two months ago}
Head Circumference: 16.54 inches (43%) {up from 15.94 inches (45%) two months ago}

Since my last update I feel like there have been a lot of developmental changes!  She sits up very steady, which is so nice!  She can sit on the floor with a few toys and entertain herself for quite a while.  She has what we call "go, go Gadget arms," since she reaches for and grabs whatever she sees, all of which goes directly into her mouth.  Favorite items are paper and my hair.  She responds immediately to her name, and usually looks for Nate or myself if asked "where's mommy," "where's daddy?"  Her upper body strength is improving by the day, so she holds herself up well when on her tummy.  And she's even started pulling her knees up, trying to get on all fours.  The doctor seems to think that she'll be mobile sooner rather than later.  Watch out!  Right now she just scoots and rolls to wherever she needs to go, which I think has something to do with her new sleep habits, oddly enough.

Last week we started sleep training, which I'll probably write more about in another post.  We're using The Sleepeasy Solution as a guide, and we stopped using the swaddle cold turkey.  It was time.  The first night was a little rough, but after about an hour of crying (with checks) Miss K fell asleep and didn't get up until 6:30 the next morning.  Since then she's been sleeping 7:30 pm to 6:30 or 7:00 am consistently.  She takes three naps per day, which are usually 40 minutes to an hour and a half.  Not only are we all thrilled to be getting the sleep we need, but I can tell a major difference in K's personality.  She's always been a happy baby, but she is so much more content now!  She focuses on what she's doing, and doesn't get frustrated as easily.  On top of that, she is rolling all over the place!  I can only attribute this to not being swaddled at night any more.  I see her rolling all over her crib at night, which must be practice for day time!

Miss K is also consistently eating a fruit and a veggie for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  She eats almost every vegetable we give her, except for peas.  I can't say I blame her - they smell rancid - but we'll give them another try in a few days.  Surprisingly, she's really not that into most of her fruits.  She loves pears, but most everything else gets the same reaction as a Warheads sour candy.  Remember those?

She still get a bottle every four hours, and we tried a few different types of rice cereal.   Each time K would get very fussy and stay  up all night after a few days on the rice.  The doctor said that he has no concerns if we want to skip rice, and so far she's doing great on her fruits and veggies.  I did get some Earth's Best oatmeal cereal to try for a little more variety.

Other than that, it seems like K is just along for the ride.  She really does great when we're out and about - she's a people person, that's for sure!  It seems like everyone is drawn to her, and when they come up to talk to her she just smiles away and charms them with some baby talk.

I think that about sum up K's 6 month in a nutshell...

Hopefully I'll be posting more often here shortly.  Thanks to everyone who has followed the blog, and who sticks with us during the quiet times!

signature

2 comments:

  1. Love this ! Babies are such a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cutie! Can't wait to read about your day in court. Looking forward to ours :)

    ReplyDelete